||Origins: The central part of the house was probably built in about 1670-80 as part of the estate held by the Paulet family, Lords of the Manor of Chitterne St Mary.
||Lord of the Manor, Henry Paulet of Farnborough died and was succeeded by Francis Paulet.
||Lord of the Manor, Francis Paulet of Amport died and was succeeded by Norton Paulet.
||Lord of the Manor, Norton Paulet of Rotherfield died and was succeeded by his son Norton Paulet.
||Norton Paulet of Amport sold the Manor of Chitterne St Mary to Paul Methuen of Corsham.
||The Amesbury Turnpike Trust
was set up. The Round House is on the section of the road from
West Amesbury to Ansty Hill.
||Paul Cobb Methuen inherited estates in Chitterne St Mary, including the Round House, after
the death of his father Paul Methuen.
||Joseph Brown Morris of Mere, became curate of Chitterne St Mary. He leased the Round House and lived there with his widowed mother Elizabeth Morris. Charlotte Folliott, widow of Gilbert Folliott, was probably their housekeeper.
||Elizabeth Morris died and was buried in the chancel of Chitterne St Mary Church. Her negro boy also died and was buried the following day beyond the graveyard boundary.
The round end of the house was probably constructed.
||Joseph Brown Morris died and his brother Charles Morris took over the lease of the Round House and married Charlotte Folliott.
||Paul Methuen inherited estates in Chitterne St Mary, including the Round House, after
the death of his father Paul Cobb Methuen.
benefices of Chitterne All Saints and Chitterne St
Mary were united by deed.
||The Round House is mentioned in a
schedule for sale of the Chitterne estates. Charles Morris aged 38,
was the leaseholder under a 99 year lease determined on the
lives of himself, his wife Charlotte aged 41 and James Folliot
aged 25, at a rent of 1s.and
heriot (death duty paid by tenants
to their lord) of 5s.
||The Round House was amongst estates in both Chitternes
bought by the trustees of the late Walter Long of Rood Ashton for £70,000 from Paul Methuen.
||The house is called Laura Cottage in the 1841 census.
tithe map Charles Morris is noted
as the leaseholder of The Round House, under Walter Long Esq.
||Charlotte Morris died on 8th February,
aged 82 years.
||Walter Long of Rood Ashton died. Richard Penruddocke Long inherited the estate.
||The Amesbury Turnpike Trust
was defunct. The effects, including the Chitterne gates,
were auctioned off in 1871.
||Walter Hume Long inherited much of Chitterne including the Round House.
||Walter Hume Long raised £500 'pin' money
for his future wife, Lady Dorothy Blanche Boyle,
by transferring the "use" of The Round House, (together with
other properties he owned) from himself to Viscount Lascelles,
for a term of 99 years.
||Charles Morris died on 10th December,
aged 94 years.
||The Census shows the house in an area of Chitterne called 'Gunville'. It was rented by the county police. In 1881, policeman, John Balch, his wife and 5 children lived there.
||The name Polden, with an unidentifiable
initial, and the year 1882 is scratched into the plaster on
the chimney breast in the round end attic.
||1889 is scratched on a brick in the left
door jamb of the stable.
||The Census shows that the 'Round House'
was still rented by the police and Police Constable
John Cook, his wife and two children lived there.
||The Round House bought from Walter Hume Long for £70 by Alice
Mary Langford, granddaughter of William Wallis of Chitterne St
||Alice Langford lived at the 'Round House' alone in 1901.
||The two parishes of Chitterne All Saints and Chitterne St.
Mary became the civil parish of Chitterne by an order of the
Local Government Board.
||The house is called 'Tower House' in the 1911 census and occupied by Alice Langford alone.
||The Round House bought by George and William
||George Poolman died.
||A hard coating of Mendip Dust and cement was applied to the round end
wall by David W. C. Frostick.
||Refurbishment by the Poolmans.
||William Poolman died on 10th January,
aged 75 years.
||Elsie Poolman, William's wife, died on
12th December aged 80 years.
||David and Susan Robinson from Westbury
bought The Round House in May, and after renovations moved in August 1976
with their two daughters Katherine and Jessica.
||Amy Jane Robinson born 30th September.
||Amanda Jo Robinson born 3rd October.
||A car-port with an archway entrance in the perimeter wall was built against the north
side of the stable. The large horse chestnut tree
that had dominated the south-west side of the lawn was taken
||A two-storey extension was added to the west end
of the house.
||The Round House was listed Grade II.
||A new floor was built in the stable, at
a lower level than the old hay-loft. This involved removing a
beam and inserting tie-beams instead. Two sky-lights were
installed in the east facing slate roof.
||David Robinson started an Engineering
Draughting business called "Straight Lines", working from
The filming of the Round House for a programme in the
series 'The History Trail' for HTV.
||A new sash window was fitted to replace the odd
casement window in the round bedroom.